- NSD from NLnet Labs
- Linux/Windows OS with NSD installed (in this example using Linux Ubuntu version 16.04 LTS)
- DNS Server has been setup and function properly
How register a new domain and perform an automatic DNS Validation in you ECS Enterprise account
A. Registration of the new addition domain to your Entrust Certificate Portal
1. Login to your ECS Enterprise account.
2. On the dashboard click Administrator > Domain Management.
3. Type your new domain name, then select the Client. After that select the verification method to DNS. Click Add to Request button.
4. Click Submit Request button on the corner of the bottom screen.
5. You will see your new domain request has been listed on the Pending domains list. Go to your new addition domain and click on the icon next to Install token to generate your DNS code.
You should see the random value for your DNS Server like the example below.
NOTE: The DNS Entry name and Random value are different from one request to another. Please DO NOT copy the codes or domain example below to your DNS Server.
B. Step by step to add a TXT record into the active DNS zone on NSD
1. Login to your DNS server.
2. Launch the terminal. If you don’t login as superuser then type:
$ sudo –i
You will be prompted for the password for your superuser. Type the password and you will be on the root prompt.
3. Locate your DNS zone file. This file by default is located under /etc/nsd/ , however sometimes it is hidden for the security purposes. Please consult with your network administrator if this is the case. In this example, the DNS zone file is under /etc/nsd/ with the filename called entrustcertlab.com.zone
4. WARNING! Before you continue on the step below, please make sure you make a copy of your working DNS zone file in case you make wrong modifications or accidentally delete the file.
Edit the zone file using the line text editor tool such as nano or vi
#root: nano /etc/nsd/entrustcertlab.com.zone
The DNS zone file will be opened. You should see some entries already exist.
5. Scroll to the bottom of your zone file and hit Enter to give a new line space to create the new record entry.
6. Create your TXT record using the Install DNS token information from Section A above.
NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT enter the token information from the sample below, you MUST use the one that issued to you from the steps on section A above.
Example Install DNS Token information:
_pki-validation IN TXT your random value
7. Press Ctrl-X to save the modification. Answer Yes and then hit Enter to overwrite it into the same filename.
8. Restart your DNS service by typing:
Root # service nsd restart
NOTE: If you receive any errors during the DNS service restart process, go back to your zone file and make sure you don’t have any typos on the entries. You can still refer back to your old working zone file that you backed up on step 5.
To check the detail status of DNS service, type :
Root# service nsd status
Your TXT record has been added.
At this point you have registered your domain with automatic DNS validation. As soon as your random value has propagated, the Entrust verification system will automatically capture and approve the domain for use. Note the time this will take will vary, depending on the propagation time of your DNS server.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact the Entrust Certificate Services Support department for further assistance:
Hours of Operation:
Sunday 8:00 PM ET to Friday 8:00 PM ET
North America (toll free): 1-866-267-9297
Outside North America: 1-613-270-2680 (or see the list below)
NOTE: Smart Phone users may use 1-800 numbers for one-touch dialing.
Otherwise, it is very important that international callers dial the UITF format exactly as indicated. Do not dial an extra "1" before the "800" or your call will not be accepted as an UITF toll free call.
|Australia||0011 - 800-3687-7863|
|Austria||00 - 800-3687-7863|
|Belgium||00 - 800-3687-7863|
|Denmark||00 - 800-3687-7863|
|Finland||990 - 800-3687-7863 (Telecom Finland)|
00 - 800-3687-7863 (Finnet)
|France||00 - 800-3687-7863|
|Germany||00 - 800-3687-7863|
|Hong Kong||001 - 800-3687-7863 (Voice)|
002 - 800-3687-7863 (Fax)
|Ireland||00 - 800-3687-7863|
|Israel||014 - 800-3687-7863|
|Italy||00 - 800-3687-7863|
|Japan||001 - 800-3687-7863 (KDD)|
004 - 800-3687-7863 (ITJ)
0061 - 800-3687-7863 (IDC)
|Korea||001 - 800-3687-7863 (Korea Telecom)|
002 - 800-3687-7863 (Dacom)
|Malaysia||00 - 800-3687-7863|
|Netherlands||00 - 800-3687-7863|
|New Zealand||00 - 800-3687-7863|
|Norway||00 - 800-3687-7863|
|Singapore||001 - 800-3687-7863|
|Spain||00 - 800-3687-7863|
|Sweden||00 - 800-3687-7863 (Telia)|
00 - 800-3687-7863 (Tele2)
|Switzerland||00 - 800-3687-7863|
|Taiwan||00 - 800-3687-7863|
|United Kingdom||00 - 800-3687-7863|
0800 121 6078
+44 (0) 118 953 3088