How to create a TXT record on NSD for Entrust Email Validation Method ?
- NSD from NLnet Labs
- Linux/Windows OS with NSD installed (in this example using Linux Ubuntu version 16.04 LTS)
- DNS Server has been setup and function properly
Steps to setup:
1. Login to your DNS server.
2. Launch the terminal. If you don’t login as superuser then type:
$ sudo –i
You will be prompted for the password for your superuser. Type the password and you will be on the root prompt.
3. Locate your DNS zone file. This file by default is located under /etc/nsd/ , however sometimes it is hiding for the security purposes. Please consult with your network administrator. In this example, the DNS zone file is under /etc/nsd/ with the filename called entrustcertlab.com.zone
4. WARNING ! Before you continue on the step below, please make sure you make a copy of your working DNS zone file in order to avoid any mishap happened.
Edit the zone file using the line text editor tool such as nano or vi
#root: nano /etc/nsd/entrustcertlab.com.zone
The DNS zone file will be opened. You should see some entry already existed
5. Scroll to the bottom of your zone file and hit Enter to give a new line space below for new record entry.
Create your record using the reference from the format below
_validation-contactemail IN TXT your email address
Your email address: Your designated email address which function properly.
Example: [email protected]
6. Once this is setup, and the DNS information has been propagated to our Entrust DNS Server (which may take up to 12 hours), you can then use email verification method for the domain in your certificate portal.o
7. Press Ctrl-X to save the modification. Answer Yes and then hit Enter to overwrite it into the same filename.
8. Restart your DNS service by typing:Root # service nsd restart
NOTE: If you receive any error during the DNS service restart process, go back to your zone file and make sure you don’t have any typo on the entries. You can still refer back to your old working zone file that you backup on step 9. To check the detail status of DNS service, type :
Root# service nsd status
At this point the process to add a TXT record for Entrust has been completed.